The basics: Single mom with two boys, one born in ’85, the other in ’96. So Cal native living on the north coast of San Diego and hoping to never leave. Cast of Characters:
Sweet Prince (or SP) – Boyfriend of many years.
MusicMan – DS1. Born in 1985. My creative, loving, sensitive soul.
SportsBoy – DS2. Born in 1996. My sports loving boy with a quick smile and fruitcake personality.
Copying some other About pages I found on NaBloPoMo, here are some random facts in no particular order which I will add to as I think of them (updated a bit in 2011):
- Only child
- Raised in Orange County CA (The OC baby!) when it was nearly 1/2 strawberry fields and orange groves.
- Took up the accordion when a salesman came to our door when I was 6. Vividly etched in my memory because I hated that damn instrument!!! Now, it’s become a bit of a notorious tidbit from my history and something to laugh about. Ah well…
- Played said accordion and marched in the Strawberry festival held in the OC way back when.
- Moved from the accordion to the piano and also started dance lessons around the age of 9 – whew!
- Took tennis lessons and played in one tournament – lost miserably – never did master the serve, but I loved playing.
- Danced with my class as the half-time entertainment for a Lakers game back when Magic and Kareem were playing – another image etched in my memory – the players coming off the court heading into the locker room passed right by us as we waited to go on. They were huge! Also, dressing for the event in the LA Kings locker room at The Forum.
- Attended a Montessori school who’s owners and teachers had learned the program direct from Maria Montessori. It was perfect for the way my brain works with learning.
- Transferred to the Bishop’s School in the 10th grade. Lived on campus. What a culture shock!
- Hobbies as a child included bird watching, crotchet, stamp collecting and baseball card collecting. Yes, I was a geek from the start!
- I’ve been a baseball fan since I was 9
- I hate clutter
- I’m a Capricorn born in the chinese year of the dragon. Actually, a triple Cap according to an analysis my friend did.
- I need 8 hours of sleep a night – not negotiable
- I hate gyms
- I was raised by Republicans (though not right wing) and voted that way until I started paying attention to the process. Switched to Democrat in 2000 though I don’t just vote the party line at all.
- I love to read, but am always having to make time for it.
- I love to cook – IF I have time for it.
- I love playing in the garden (oh, there is that time thing again!)
- I love the sound of the ocean
- My glass is always half-full
- I have no patience for wallowing
- What, me worry? Yes, call me Alfreda E Newman, but I think worrying is a complete waste of energy. I think the AA Serenity Prayer says it all on that topic.
- I’ve been called ‘pragmatic’ by more than a few so I guess I am :->
- My radio station pre-sets are sports talk radio, one local music station (saved for the morning show), and politics.
- My TV is tuned either to ESPN, channel 4 Padres, cartoons, or recently, SpikeTV for CSI re-runs. In 2008 it will probably be set on MSNBC more than any other. UPDATE: Oh so true! Love Rachel Maddow & now the new Up with Chris Hayes on weekends.
- I am also not a movie goer. I’d rather be out at a ball field.
- I have never seen Titanic and don’t want to (am I the ONLY straight woman who can say that?)
- Given my interest in politics, I should disclose that I have run for and won elections. In high school I was the senior class Treasurer (talk about a sign of things to come!!) and then this year I was elected to the local Pop Warner Board – as Treasurer of course. UPDATE: Filled out that 2 years term, took a year off, then was asked back for another year (2011) and I swear that THIS TIME I AM DONE!!
- (Ok, I just read through all the stuff I listed so far, and hey, aren’t you just dying to invite me to a party?!! Yeah baby. I really need to think of more interesting things)
- I once traveled across the country of Sweden on a motorcycle. Stockholm to Gothenburg. (better)
- I love going to concerts and my favorite concert companion is MusicMan. Aerosmith, Duran Duran, Van Halen, Jimmy Buffet, Rod Stewart, The Eagles, Sting, Alanis and a few Jingle Balls are what we have seen since he turned 16. SportsBoy got to see American Idol on tour from Season 2 and Clay Aiken’s Christmas concert. UPDATE – oh, HUGE UPDATE right? How can a list About Me NOT include my intense passion for Adam Lambert? Yes, he supplanted Clay as My Most Favorite American Idol ever. I also stopped watching after his season because….what’s the point? Several GlamNation concerts later and I am more convinced than ever that Freddie Mercury lives on in this beautiful entertainer.
- My favorite way to travel is on a cruise ship. Went 5 times as a teen with my parents to various places. Alaska is the favorite destination hands down. I was thrilled to introduce my Sweetprince to cruising and we have done the local Mexico cruise twice and dream of more.
- I have not paid for a haircut in 13 years. DIY all the way!
- I am officially a CCL in training – Crazy Cat Lady – I only have two
- I bought my first house when I was 39 (my goal was before I was 40 and I did it!)
- I discovered very quickly that watching Trading Spaces had seeped into my brain and I LOVE to paint with color!
- I’ve participated in 3 Breast cancer 3-day walks and loved each one. Had to stop due to lack of proper training time and fundraising sources.
- I took up working out more intensely (read, something more than just walking) in 2009 when I joined a circuit training group. Met THE BEST group of people ever. When we lost access to the gym, I panicked at the thought of falling out of shape again and took up running. Yes. Me. I run. As of April 2011. It is crazy assed and fun. Alex (SportsBoy) has taking up triathlons and between his races, my friend’s races and my own, there is no such thing as sleeping in on the weekends anymore.